Thursday, November 4, 2010

Being Grateful

My daughter and I talked about Being grateful today. Somedays I just don't think she has any idea of what she should be grateful for!

We started with the Definition-

Grateful- warmly or deeply appreciative of Kindness or benefits received; Being thankful

Today after Gymnastics she started whining, Why cant Gymnastics be 4 hours long?!! Why is it only 1?!! Help me get dressed mommy!! Eh I cant tie my shoes!! You do it!! Why cant you do it?!! Sound Familiar?!! So I picked her up as she was whining and the last one out of the gym as always and took her outside with her coat off and her shoes off. Luckly it was still 50 degrees out she didn't get too cold.

What ever happened to kids being grateful for what they got?! I discussed this with her tonight and she has no clue that some people go without eating on a daily basis, some people have to walk everywhere because they have no car, some people have to wear the same clothes everyday because they have no money to buy new ones, Some people don't have running water, oh the list can go on and on. So this is what we talked about on the way home in the car.

I am grateful that I have a good job, I am healthy, I have great parents that taught me right from wrong, that I never got into alcohol or drugs, that I am me!!! I am so grateful that God gave me my little girl to teach these things too!!

Tomorrow my daughter will tell me what she is grateful for as I had her sleep on it tonight as it was late when we got home. Cannot wait to hear her answer tomorrow!!

"If a fellow isn't thankful for what he's got, he isn't likely to be thankful for what he's going to get." ~Frank A. Clark

6 comments:

  1. That is a great post. I don't think my son understands how grateful he should be either. I guess I just need to keep reminding him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! In our world its so hard to stay focused on the positive things in our life - thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. So many things to be thankful for and the message gets lost and not just on our kids but adults as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. When I was a kid, my family had "rice days" where we ate nothing but rice. We saved the money we would've spent on food for that day and donated it to Heifer project (heifer.org). Believe me, I was grateful for our food once we started doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 14 year old is having a hard time being grateful. Let me know if your little talk did any good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Post!

    Kevin
    http://halftriing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete