Sunday, May 1, 2011

Week In Review And Mountain goat too!

As I sit down and type this I have a lot of thoughts running through my mind about this week. Some things I did really well and others not so much. I had some ups and downs this week as well but am getting past all that and seeing the brighter side of things!

Here are some things I did well.
1. Ate well
2. kept in my heart rate Zones
3. Was kind to my honey (this counts you know!! :P )
4. Had some really nice rides and runs

What I didn't do so well
1. ran 30 min in Vibrams on Wednesday...My legs are still feeling it
2. I didn't listen to my coach to take a rest day yesterday and went to the local bike shop for a power test.
3. Hydrate myself.

eh, not too bad I guess!

I only had 4 hours of training as it was rest week. I had 2 serious rest days on the schedule and blew one of them. Coach was not happy. I think if she could've reach through the phone and slap me she would have!

Today was the 10 mile Mountain Goat Run. I was excited yet nervous at the same time as my calves were tight for 4 DAYS! I did well with rolling them, stretching, Icing, Motrin, Whatever I needed to do to pull through for today.

I ate my planned pre race Nutrition Coach gave me:
2 hours before race- 1 scoop Whey protein, 1 banana, 2 c unsweetened applesauce blended together (was very thick!!) and 24 oz EFS fluid
1 hour befor race- 1/2 Powerbar
20 min before race- 1 Powerbar Gel + 8 oz water (which I think I had about 12!)

I was jittery at the starting line and I knew I didn't want to get caught up in the hype so I seated myself in the middle of the pack to hold myself back the first Mile. 9 min mile first mile- CHECK!

After this I proceeded to get up the hills and was enjoying the run for the first time. Got to mile 5 and just lost it. The temps got higher, Then Colvin came and after Colvin Street I just didn't have it in me to push any longer. My calves were tight. I could feel them cramping up. Did I take in enough on the run? Every stop I took a gulp of PowerBar Perform, mile 4 I took gel. I was wondering if they mixed the Powerbar Perform right as it tasted watered down and not salty like it usually tastes.

I held onto my hopes of coming in 1:30:00 or better until mile 9 came and I looked and I was at 1:26:00. I knew I couldn't make up that time in 1 mile so I aimed to finish strong...

1:34:16 was my ending time!!!

I was disappointed at first as I had been doing the training runs in less time. But I knew I messed it up with what I did the days before the race. I look it as a lesson learned.

I went back to look at Past times and this is what I found:
2010- 1:49:11
2009- 1:44:07
2008- 1:36:19
2007= 1:36:48
2006- 1:43:05

Still a PR baby!!
I suffered some sunburned lips and a bloody toe today as well. The funny thing Is I didn't feel it until I got home!




Me and M! My best running partner!


A very salty Sweater! Pass the Salt!



Showing my shirt off AfTER the race!! :)


5 comments:

  1. A huge PR - be proud of that race girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go sister. We all go through these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! Congrats on your PR! BUT, listen to your coach and take those rest days!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the name of the race. I would probably sign up without even being told how long it was. haha

    Awesome PR!!

    ReplyDelete