Monday, October 31, 2011

Beach to Battleship 140.6 Race Review-Part 2

Since you all are DYING to know how the run went...Here goes!

After I went through the changing tent, I felt amazing! The rush of the people just took me out to the run and down the road. I looked at my watch about a 1/2 mile in and saw I was running 8:52. I backed off and settled into a pace more like 10:00/mi. I thought I could never hold that pace for the rest. Then came a +ucker of a hill. It was over a bridge and the wind was in my face. I thought walking was a good option as the wind was sucking the life right out of me. I decided to keep running.

This is actually mile 3/4 for me!

I was feeling for all my nutrition and realized I forgot my salt tabs. No biggy. They had Endurolytes at every hydration station.

Every mile or so there was a water stop. Filled with Broth, heed, oranges, bananas, gels, endurolytes, candy. You name it, it was out on the course I think.

Mile 10! Still had good form!!

I stopped at every other rest stop as I had nutrition on me. I walked through and grabbed water, tore my powerbar gel ate and went. Next stop was HEED, and I alternated this all the way up to mile 19.65. After this I felt my legs breaking down underneath me. The time was now about 11:30 or so and I thought to myself if I could keep this pace or even a little slower I would be done before 13 hours. I was hoping for 12:30 -12:45.

I ran down the first hill on the way back (about mile 21)...son of a gun it hurt, and hurt bad. A lady came running up near me and asked if I was on my first or second loop. I said second. She was amazed it was my first and I was this far already. We both pushed each other for a few miles. I tried to run to every aid station, grab anything I could, cola was my favorite at this point. I alternated cola/broth with Powerbar gels. By mile 23 I was getting stiff.

I started up a little hill and couldnt shake this nagging feeling in the back of my Left knee. It  felt like the ligaments were stiff! I kept telling myself keep moving forward. At this point I was walking more than running. The last hill I was scared for my life! No lights, I couldn't see who was running at me as I was blinded by 55mph cars flying by me. I walked most of it, then the downhill ripped my legs apart but I knew it was only about a half mile to the finish. I looked at my watch 12:53. I knew I could beat 13:00 If I gave it my all now.

A guy asked me on this strip how many miles I ran. I said 26.2, He said no way you look great! What?!! I felt like scrap! I smiled anyways. a few times I smiled at people, they didnt know I was hurting. They thought I was having a blast. I was SUFFERING...but I kept moving forwards!!!!

I ran down the finishers shoot in pure joy to be done. I put my hands up and screamed going through. I had a tear in my eye as they took my chip away and handed me my medal AND a finishers long sleeve shirt!

RUN TIME: 5:31:55

Total TIME: 12:57:32

51st  female/149 participants (I don't know where I ranked overall as it wasn't ranked this way!)

The volunteers escorted me out, asked me if I needed anything. They took care of all of us! I went into the warming tent and just sat there for a few minutes. I was so stiff it was hard to get up afterwards. I was walking like I rode a bull for 12 hours! ha ha! I took some motrin and coke that a volunteer gave me and just kept moving.

I hugged Andy and cried and thaked him for all he has done for me for the whole year!

We took the ferry boat to the other side of Cape Fear River and went back to the hotel. I took a nice long bath and it felt so good! I zonked right out after this! I wanted to go back and watch the last finishers but I was pooped!

Yes, Im a princess with a MEDAL!!

I will say this race is a great first timer race. Even though the wind and rain definately played apart in my mental game, it definately didn't get me to stop the race. The support crew, the volunteers, the race director, everything was top notch! This is definately on the race calendar for the future.

The race went well for me, I never had any cramping or stomach issues the whole time! I even could eat afterwards and that is saying alot for me!

I am still sore 2 days later, we have been having fun sight-seeing but it is so worth it!!
This is the Battleship we ended up at! USS North Carolina!

Thanks again to everyone who was apart of my day!! 


  1. Wow... what an amazing day for you Kristin! :) I loved reading about it and it was so fun to follow your journey to the finish through all of your training.

    So the big question remains... what's next??? :)

  2. Congrats Kristin! You're amazing!

  3. Great day Kristin! I am so happy and excited for you. You are a triathlon stud! And I have to agree with Colleen, what is next?!

  4. Wow wow wow.. CONGRATS!! What an awesome day :)

  5. Congrats!!!! My favorite on the run was also cola idk why... That is an awesome finish time and to think you accomplished that in your first go at it! Good job!

  6. What a wonderful tale. Just fantastic and awesome and amazing. Way to go!!!!!!! So thrilled for you!

  7. Congrats on a gutsy run. That is very impressive.

    I need to go back and read the swim and bike portions but great great great job on gutting it out.

    You were prepped and knew your body well based on that goal of 13 or less and crossing under 13. Phenomenal. Congrats again.

  8. Congratulations! What an accomplishment! What's next? That's going to be a tough one to top. Way to go- time to relax. Didn't realize you had a blog-It's great to find other bloggers in Syracuse. I will have to add you to my blog roll. I launched mine a couple of months ago.

  9. Awesome job, girl!! Kinda wish I would have done this one with you, Chesman was great but B2B look way more organized. way to go IRONMAN!!!

  10. Congratulations! Thank you for a great review with many details! Considering making this one my first!