Saturday, December 6, 2014

Making IM training work

I always hear, "How do you have enough time to do all you do with your family?"

I make the time.

Rules of making it work for me:

1, Get up early. I get up around  4:30 in the morning to work out. If I get up a little later, I don't stress over not getting my workout in.  I do it when my kids go to bed

2. No time is wasted time. If I have a hard workout planned. That's what it is going to be. Every workout serves a purpose whether it is strength, threshold, etc. If I have to group things together to make it work that day, I do. Like my Strength workout. Total body twice per week if I can. Get it done and move on.


3 Don't take time away from the kids. When I am with my kids. I am with my kids. That simple. I am not working out. I am watching movies, making them food, taking them shopping, Playing Frozen songs over and over.

4. Have a supportive partner. I cannot stress this enough. I would never be sane or have time to workout if I didn't have my best friend at my side to help me through the days when I want to cry or give up.

5. Have fun. When it isn't fun anymore, then I will give it up. I have started to dabble into some tougher things. Cross training with cyclocross. I will also cross train with some Snow shoeing and Cross country skiing this year! Woo hoo!

6. If training is getting stale, change it up! I think we can go back and refer to #5 for most of this.

7. If stressed, take a day off. As much as my type A personality wants to admit, I do take a break If I feel I need one. Over the years, I have really listened to my body and know when enough is enough. Heart rate is high, feeling more angry, workouts are harder, then it is time to break.

8. Know why you are doing what you are doing.  I have this in my head everytime I start a workout. I do it for me. I do it for my kids. I do it for my sanity. I do it for the love of the sport. I do it for the amazing fitness gains. I do it because it makes me feel good. I do it because I have control over it. See where I am getting at??

I am sure I can think of many more, but this is a good start how I make it work for me.

Happy Training!!


No comments:

Post a Comment