Saturday, April 19, 2014

Springtime 10K, New PR, and a little wind in my face

Since I haven't done an all out 10k in quite sometime and there was a new one hitting the seen in Central New York, I decided to give it a try. Not to mention all the good promoting of the race, Supporting Hope For Heather (Ovarian Cancer) and getting a first hand view of the Syracuse 70.3 run course. The Springtime 10K had me hooked.



All I can say is wholly Batman! Now I have done the Syracuse 70.3 and have trained on these hills since the Inaugural race back in 2010, the Running course has been changed a few times. The last few years it has been an out and back course in Jamesville, I did not expect it to be this much of a challenge!

I cannot see doing 2 loops of this course after completing 1.2 mile swim and a 56 mile bike!

Maybe I am internally glad that it sold out...

Maybe not..

Anyways, Pre race was the same. Banana, almond butter, cup of applesauce. Hydration with FLUID Performance drink until 1 hour before the race.

After the race, a few friends and I were to head out on our bikes for 30 miles. I was cringing at the weather. High of 40-50 with overcast and wind gusts up to 15mph. UGH!

The plan for today was to do a 1 mile warm up, really easy. Go out controlled for the first 2 miles, get a bit faster the next 2, then hammer it as much as I can home. I think I did a pretty good job of this despite the hills that we involved.

I am fortunate to know alot of people on the Central New York race scene so that every mile someone was shouting my name!! Thanks for all the LOVE!! It felt so good to have people cheering me on! I tried to do the same, so don't think I didn't notice. Between gasps I did root too!

The race resulted in a 10K PR!!!!!!!!!

50:40 (8:11/mile pace), 9th in AG 30-39, 20th Female Overall!!

I thank my coach KS and KC for all their help and all my Y Runner friends I have grown to love and admire over the last few months!! I am grateful that they hold me accountable when we make plans for a run and all the friendly competition we have with each other is the best.

Onto the Bike. It took FOREVER to get dressed. Mainly because I needed Layers galore and I was shivering from my run.

I fueled up and was ready to go. Started off cold, but certainly quickly warmed up once the 10miles of hills came at us, then 10 more..then rolling hills for 15more! A wrong turn had lead us to some more hill work. I was harassed for hills, but come on, its Tully and Jamesville. There are hills on that end of town!

My legs started cramping up around mile 25. I thought I did enough with 2 bottles of Fluid and 2 Honey stinger gels, But realized I had no protein! I think I needed a little at this point. Or maybe it was pure conditioning, I haven't figured it out totally.

I feel a little sore in the glutes right now and my toe is a little bruised, but otherwise am feeling pretty good about the whole day!!

Happy Training!


2 comments:

  1. I just stumbled on you blog. I am entering my first Tri this summer (Iron Girl) i would appreciate any tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!! Congrats on dipping into the Tri Arena!! Great community for it. Where are you from? If you live in the Area, I suggest Getting into the CNY Tri Club. They have a training session every Wed evening at Oneida Shores. It will help you tremendously!
      Any questions you have, you can email me!!

      Delete