Sunday, July 6, 2014

Syracuse 70.3 Race Recap

I know this is a few weeks late. After the race I was so focused on our trip to Orlando, Florida that this seemed to go on the back Burner.

I was fortunate enough to get a entry into the Sold Out race that happend June 22, 2014. I was notified 2 weeks before the race that I had a chance to do it and if I wanted the entry. I thought about it for a few days and pondered if I really had enough training to do a 70.3. I thought about it and realized I had been doing all the training just needed to put it all together. While I knew my swimming has been less than steller this year, I knew I could pull off a decent bike and run as I have been running well this year.

I decided to ride the course the week before the race and then give the ok to JC at Bike Loft East if I felt ok to do the race. I figured I will try for under 6 hours and if that didn't happen just go to complete it. After riding with a few of the greatest people, including the Race Director, in my home town, on a challenging course and doing pretty well with a run after, I knew I would be ok to race.

I arrived with my man in tow as he was helping with the bike mechanics of the athletes all weekend. What a job! sun up to sun down working on bikes. I just love that my man is a race mechanic and knows alot about bikes! How lucky am I?!!

SWIM

I started a hour after the race started. I was just trying to picture a decent swim. I knew I would struggle a little but just tried to remember I could get through it. I did have some sighting issues on the way out. I felt like the buoys Kept drifting, but most likely it was me. when I had about 200 meters to go, My left leg was starting to cramp up. I focused on relaxing more and kicking a little to get the blood flowing.

Time:42:21 Ave pace 2:11/100m

BIKE

I was a little down about my speed in the water but knew my strength is the bike, so Just tried to maintain a good effort on the bike without sacrificing too much. I passed a lot of people and it felt so good! I was on a road bike and passing people that had souped up tri bikes was a great feeling!!
I did 2 1/2 bottles of Cliff Electrolyte drink. I couldnt get my Gel to come out of my flask, so I decided to use the aide stations for GU. Used 3 gels, 2 salt tabs. I should've had a little more gel. Usually I do at least 4-5 in that given time frame.
I started to cramp up in the inner thighs at the end of the bike, but knew I had enough in me to complete the run.
The last 6 miles of the bike is a no pass zone. I got behind a girl that was only going 12-15mph...ugh! I was itching to get by her, but used this time to spin a little, get out of the saddle and stretch the cramped up legs a bit.

Time: 3:01:31 Ave speed : 18.51mph

RUN

This is where I started to break down a bit. This is a 2 loop run course with some steep climbs in it. The sun was starting to get hot and there was little to no shade on the run course. I started out with a good pace. Keeping about a 9 min mile. It all ended after the Gigantic hill that we had to go up....TWICE! The first loop was ok. I was really loving the crowd support and all the cheers I received along the way. It really helped out tremendously. I tried to focus on nutrition and keep moving forward. I took 16oz of Clif Electrolyte drink. 2 salt tabs, 3 gels and a banana in on the course. I felt depleted on the second loop. The down hills on the course as well as the uphills were starting to grab at my thighs. I grabbed sponges at the water stations to keep cool. I kept looking at my watch. I knew I could make my goal if I just kept moving forwards. the last 3-4 miles were tough, but Kept trucking along.

Time; 2:07:47 Average pace 9:45/mile

Time: 5:57:46- 29th in AG 30-34





No comments:

Post a Comment