Monday, July 28, 2014

So Behind- 2 race reports Combined!!

This past month has flown by and I am so behind on my blogging. I have done a few races since my last blog post. The Boilermaker 15 K in Utica, NY AND the Lake Delta Sprint-Intermediate race in Utica, NY. It was the place to be this month!

I wont bore you with all the nitty gritty's just the highlights of both:

Boilermaker 15K- July 13,2014-

It was hot and muggy. The air was pretty dense. I was glad to run in Florida while on vacation the week before as it prepared me for the weather.

The first 2-3 miles were insane trying to get past people. When there is a field of 12,000 people, the race is pretty congested the first few miles!

There was nothing but water at the aid stations. Really?!! It was hot! Electrolytes were definitely a must!

TIME: 1:18:07- 80/871 in AG 30-34, 483/5,658 females, 2174/11891 total!

Great day- Tried to put down under 75min but was happy with my time given the conditions and crowd.


Onto the Next race-

Delta Double- Sprint and Intermediate Triathlon Combined

What was I thinking?!! I was fortunate enough to get a free entry to this race as the other half was doing race support. Love that my man is a Certified Race Mechanic!! Makes my life (and bike riding) so much easier! :-)

In the Sprint Swim I got kicked in the head at the start. I was not happy that these girls didn't know how to hold their line and ended up hitting me. I tried to brush it off. My arms felt really heavy at the beginning of the swim but focused more on smooth swim strokes the best I could. I felt the swim was LONG. I was right by a quarter mile!  Swim- 18:43(2:30m/meter)

Getting back in transition and seeing my lonely bike on the rack and everyone else doing the double already out on the bike depressed me even more. T1- 1:01

I knew I had to make up time on the bike with my god awful swim. I tried to focus On smooth strong strokes, push the pace as much as I could tolerate and keep hydrating well knowing that I would be doing this all over again soon but for longer. Bike- 35:17(20.57mph ave

I pulled into transition with one of the other girls in the Double. I thought ok, not too bad. I know my running has improved greatly from the previous year so I just tried to hang on and make the cut-off time. (There was a cut-off time of 1:25:00 if you were doing both races) )T2- 0:51

I focused on form, my breathing and pushing the pace, and my nutrition. Getting as much as I could in before the next race was key for me.

My run was the best run I have had in a triathlon! I was proud of that run! Run- 22:54 (7:38 ave pace)

TIME:1:18:46 (2nd overall)

I had 10 minute left to get ready for the Intermediate. I had my friend JB help me literally YANK my wetsuit back on my sweating body!

In the water again. I was kicked in the leg and slapped in the head multiple times. I actually stopped swimming and looked at the girl and said some choice of words. Never have I been hit so much in a swim. I didn't think I was that bad of a swimmer and was trying to swim a straight line!

I started cramping in my thigh on the second lap but just tried to maintain focus on breathing and smooth swim strokes. Swim- 39:30 (2:24/100m)

Again my swim was terrible! See the trend here?! T1- 1:26

The bike was a *hit show. I kept playing cat and mouse with a few girls and it was starting to wear on my nerves. I think it was a toss up between my fatiguing legs and my swim getting the best of me. I tried to focus on spinning and just going with the flow but when you are competitive sometimes it just doesn't go down like that. Bike- 1:08:50 (20.92mph ave)- T2 1:19

I got off the bike feeling pretty good. I knew I had 3, 2 mile loops to do and I would be done. The first I had to pee so bad I just sat on the side of the road and peed. I couldn't think of anything else but that and I knew it would make me slower. I picked up the pace a little on the second loop, third loop started and I got a rock stuck in my shoe. Bent my leg to get it out and BAM a cramp in my hamstring!! I could hardly even walk!! I walked for a few minutes, took my gel and started to run again. A little slower than I would've liked but tried to stay focused on form and breathing through it. I rounded the corner and knew I was done. My honey was whistling at me but I know I gave him the look that I was dying as seen in my pics! Run- 55:35 (9:15 ave pace)

Time- 2:52:57- (3rd overall)

Overall it was a good day. I believe I placed for nationals next year which was my intent going into it!!

Thank you to my honey, my family and Bike Loft East who support my crazy triathlon life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment