Saturday, February 25, 2012

Lake Effect Half Marathon Report

After such a mild winter, I could hardly believe the weather forecast for this race today. When I signed up a few weeks back I thought., This is going to be great! No snow all winter, no wind, no cold, Its going to be the be winter half marathon ever!

Well this is what I woke up to this morning....

A wind and snow advisory!! yay!! Great conditions, right?!

I did my pre race ritual meal...1/2 bagel, applesauce, banana, protein shake 3 hours before
Sipping on HEED throughout
1.5 hours before Half power bar
20 min before a gel with water.

As I was driving to the race, I thought darn, I should've brought my sunglasses to block some of this snow! All I had was my Jackie O sunglasses, and yes, I used them!!! ha ha!

I knew the wind was going to be cold so I dressed in layers. Polyester base, nike thermal top with a nike wnd breaker over this, My Thicker running pants, My compression socks, shoes, 2 pairs of gloves, Balaclava and Hat. I was prepared!

The race took off on Time. My plan was to keep a 9- 9:15 pace for as long as I could. This is what I was doing in training. I would see how it went.

Every 1.5 miles there was an aid station with a lot of support with water, and electrolyte drinks. I planned on taking a shot of my gel and water at every aid station. This is what I did...worked out perfectly.

I settled into a pace I could handle and was loving it despite the wind and snow in my face for the first 3 miles, on the way back it got a bit easier with a little of a tail wind.

I was at 6.55 miles in a hour. I was happy with this and was thinking I could make my time goal if I just stick with this pacing. Onto lap 2 of the run!

Then it hit me...the wall of wind and icy snow pelting my face, stinging it, making my lips feel like I had an anaphylactic reaction going on!! I mustered up all my energy to keep moving forward and not give up. I tried making my balaclava go up farther on my face but that was no use as it was soaking wet with thick snow. I tried putting my Jackie O's back on as I took them off to see...that just made me feel like I was drunk, and swerving because there was so much wetness and snow on them I was zig zagging while running.

I rounded the last bend and had about 3.5 miles to go. I felt good, I was running pretty well, then all of the sudden I got a sharp pain in my Left foot. I tried to run differently to make it go away, Tried loosening up as I know my tension was building. I tried everything I could and then my calf started acting up. What the heck! I was hitting my goal time, then I faded. I had to stop a few times to let my foot pain subside. The pain was on my left side, bottom of foot, laterally...Don't make me think that I have a stress fracture because that is not an option right now.

I tried my best to keep my pace but knew I was falling short of it when a dozen runners started passing me.

Ah, well get to that finish line and get your damn medal, I thought....Then my song came on..Eminem,...Collapse..great!!! followed by Im not afraid...Ill finish this thing even if my face, feet, and fingers fall off!!!

I saw the finish line in front of me! yes, Im there...oh no Im not!! One more little loop to tear you down! Around the loop and wind of about 30 mph in your face like a wall...I could hardly even run! The last half was brutal!!

I crossed the finish line in 2:12:50. for 13.25 miles according to my Garmin... Ill take it!! This is a 8 min PR for me despite the weather and my foot...grrrr...

I got my medal! My doggie loves it too!!

Thanks to everyone who supports my craziness!! My honey, my daughter, my family, my friends and coaches!!

Happy Training!


  1. Wow, that is so awesome that you got a PR in such crappy conditions. Great job my dear!

    Plus, you have a beautiful puppy!

  2. An 8 minute PR with those conditions? WAY TO GO! That is so freaking awesome!

    (and as Christi pointed out, beautiful pup - and sweet medal!)

  3. Now what fun would the Lake Effect Half have been without the snow?? :) Who am I kidding??? I probably would have stayed in bed! Way to rock it out!